Thursday 28 February 2013

Milestones

I find that the more I write, the more obsessed I become with milestones. I am proud to announce that I have, not even twenty minutes ago,  reached the 25k words milestone! 

*waits for fanfare* *holds breath*

The silly thing is, no one else gives a stuff about it but me! So whats the big deal? It's about proof I suppose. This ever increasing number is proof that I'm doing something that I have always wanted to do. It's proof that every day day I come closer to actually reaching this goal that I have set myself. 



I'll be honest with you, I'm quite a lazy person! (Shocking I know!) I tend to not set goals for myself because I often feel the weight of them crushing down on me, squeezing every desire to reach the goal from me day by day. That sounds a tad dramatic I know, but hey, that's just how I am. So I think that's why I have become obsessed with my word count, almost to the point where I would stop strangers in the street just to tell them I've reached a certain point in my writerly journey. (Notice the use of the word almost there, I haven't actually done that. I said I was obsessed, not crazy! lol) 

I don't know if others feel this way, or if it's just me. Does it really matter? Well, not really no. 

I read somewhere that a debut YA novel is usually between 80k and 100k words, which would put my 25k somewhere around a quarter. That feels about right to me. It's still at the beginning, but the characters are established, as is the world they inhabit. Now it's all about the fun bit, the twists and turns of the plot, the development of the characters, THE STORY! It's exciting really, terrifying but exciting. I have created a world, discovered who my characters are, now I can sit back and watch what they do.

Bring it on!

See you next post,

Kaylie x







No comments:

Post a Comment